Saturday, September 22, 2007

FOOD

The food here is something else. They use a lot of strong spices. Luckily at the Jerusalem Center we have a cook who makes all three meals for us. They are American food but definitely have a different twist. I for one am tired of cafeteria food since I ate it all summer while working for EFY. I can't wait to get home and be able to make my food, know what is in it, and decide what I actually want to eat. The good thing about the cafeteria is it gives a sense for what the locals eat. They don't put any preservatives in their breads here and most locals just purchase it from vendors off the street. At the JC we eat tons of pitas because they are amazing. Breakfast is the exact same every morning. Lunch is typically pasta and dinner is always meat. We get fresh fruit at lunch if you are at the front of the line. We only get milk at breakfast, which is a sad thing for me because I love milk and used to have it with every meal. The dorm parents worked hard to make sure we had peanut butter at every meal so if you are ever homesick for American food you can make a PB&J. It is great. The running joke about the food is actually about the cook, Jimmy, who serves us our food. You ask for a little and he always loads your plate up. We have been working on how to word the exact amount of food we want. Some people think he doesn't understand us, I think he just believes we all have huge appetites and that we all love his food as much as he does. It really isn't bad food though.

No comments: