Saturday, October 20, 2007

Olive Picking


In ancient days they would beat the trees to get the olives to fall off. Our professors talked about this so much, we were all psyched to go beat the olive trees. It was slightly disappointing when we found out we were just going to pick the olives. We harvested the olives outside the JC but on its property one day and then next day we worked on the trees withing the center. It was really fun though to go out with all my friends, get dirty, and have fun chatting for a couple of hours. Missions have been the talk around the center because Sarah Johnson sent her papers in the same day as I did. She opened her call last night. She is serving in Paris, France and leaves Jan. 16th. I will open my call tonight and I am super excited about it.



There is a funny story about my mission call. I thought it would come sat. afternoon to my home in Boise. I tried to call my parents Fri. afternoon (my Friday night before I went to bed) but couldn't get a hold of anyone. During my night I get about 5 e-mails from my family saying my call has come and I should call them. This is about 10 PM their time but 6 AM our time. We don't have breakfast until 8 on Shabbat. Because I had not been able to get a hold of them the night before I woke up early 6 to call them. The entire JC was completely dead because no one would get up for another hour. When I called my family thought I was calling to open the call with them (because of all the e-mails they had sent telling me that was the plan). I think they forgot that I wasn't checking my e-mail at 5:30 AM. Funny side note, I didn't see those e-mails until 4 PM that afternoon.



When I called, they were so excited, they called both Matt and Amy on the cell phones before I could even find out what was going on. I had no idea that my call had already come. I know it broke all of their hearts that I was going to wait to open it. But I am excited to open it now. Well you got to love the time differences. It makes for funny stories and exciting events. I love that my family is so enthusiastic about me serving a mission. They are great and I can't wait to see them at Christmas.

No comments: