Thursday, November 15, 2007

Early Christmas Celebration

We traveled to Bethlehem today and my poor seat buddy could tell you about all of the twists, turns, stops, and goes. We actually went to Ein Karem first. This is where Elizabeth, Zachariah, and John the Baptist lived. It was such a peaceful place especially compared to the busy city of Jerusalem. We went to a couple of churches but the spirit was just really strong in the whole area.
It was a sharp transition when we crossed the separation wall between Jerusalem and Bethlehem. On the West Bank side there was graffiti completely covering the walls and it was really good in the respect that it looked like are but it was very graphic and it said very harsh things. It is just an interesting situation because on the Israeli side of the wall they have a huge poster that says "Peace be unto you." It was really sad to see how rough Bethlehem was. The kids were all over in the streets trying to sell you gum for a shekel. Just anything to get any money. The kids were also much more violent. In general in the Middle East they have been more violent but in Bethlehem it was worse. It just had a sad feeling there and you could tell the people lived a harsh life.
I was really glad to end the day by going out to a shepherds field. It gets dark here really early, like 4:30 PM and so we hiked out there and it was pitch black. It felt like it was 10PM and it wasn't even 5 yet. We ate sack lunches while sitting on the rocky hill. It was how I had pictured the geography of Jerusalem. We then read about Christ's birth and did a Christmas type program. The spirit was so so strong as I my thoughts were drawn to the Savior. It was great because now when I think of Bethlehem, I will remember what it looked like a couple of hill tops away, seeing the lights glowing across the hill. I feel so blessed to understand the plan of salvation and to know that Jesus is the Christ. He is the Son of God and he really came down here to the earth because he loved each and everyone of us. He lived a rough life, things weren't easy for him, and yet he grew up and learned grace by grace. He is my example and he taught us the true gospel. He suffered for my sins in the Garden of Gethsemane and then was crucified at Golgotha to make it possible for me to repent, to try harder, and to improve and be a better person. I know if I rely on Christ and his atonement that he will make up the difference for me at judgement day and I will be able to live with my Father in Heaven again. How comforting this knowledge is for me. It helps me with my daily living and has given me a purpose in life. Life is just amazing!

No comments: