Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Walking where Christ Walked

Today I walked where Jesus walked and it was AWESOME! We first went to the Kotel Tunnel which runs under/along the western wall. It was cool because we learned about the building of the walls, how to recognize the original walls, and the destruction of the temple and the wall. They do have many original stones and a cool fact, each is slightly smaller than the one above so it slowly gets skinnier. It was a freezing cold morning because the wind was blowing and it was sprinkling off and on all morning. I didn't pack very many warm clothes either. We also went to the Temple Mount Excavations- the Ophel Archaeological Garden and that was so cool. They dug down to Christ's time. We explored the west wall and the south wall which is actually where the entrance was during Christ's time. I am standing on the original rock ground at the exit of the temple mount during Christ's time. This is where he spat in the ground to make clay and placed it on the blind man's eyes and told him to wash in the pool of Salom (which I have been to) and he would be healed. Crazy cool isn't it? I love being here and not only learning about Christ but getting glimpses into his life. The grounds here were so peaceful and I absolutely loved it.
After our Herodian Field Trip we had a free day and it was incredible. We went meandering through the Old City. I did a ton of shopping but my high light was buying a sweatshirt which I so desperately need. I am super excited to wear all of my sweaters and coats when I get home. Don't worry, it is not nearly that cold here but it will be in Idaho and I am excited for it. So I played in the Old City all day and had a blast. We went up to the top of the tower in the Lutheran Church and it gave an awesome view of the city. I can actually identify buildings now. It was a fun 170 steps up one continuous spiral limestone staircase. We like to call those unintentional workouts and I love them. Plus you didn't get all sweaty because it is cold outside. :)
After we did our shopping, we pulled out a guide book and would randomly flip to a page to find something to see and we kept picking by chance sights we have already seen. It surprised us at how many places we have actually seen. It was a stupendous day!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is the Western Wall and the Southern Wall?
Stephanie