Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

I began thanksgiving in a sobering way. We visited Yad Vashem, the holocaust museum, here in Israel. It gives you a lot to think about and a lot to be grateful for. Then I spent the afternoon doing a little homework and napping. I missed the usual Briggs basketball fest. My committee was in charge of the Thanksgiving program after the meal so I spent the last hours before the feast working on that. Surprisingly things went well, better than I could have planned and they last longer than I ever expected.
We had our feast at 6:15 and it was great. The turkey was good, they had American gravy. The stuffing was homemade and delicious, the mashed potatoes well at least we had them right. The desserts were presented in such an artistic way, it was so cool. I just tried a little of them all. they were a little more out there type things, not your traditional pie and ice cream. It was delicious all the way around.
Our program was so fun. We started off with a Jeopardy game that everyone got really into. Then there was a turkey noise making game. It was my favorite. I could not believe how into the guys were. Then we had the teachers do it. It was fun to see them all embarrassed and much more reserve then the students. We did a thankful game where there was little papers people had written what they were thankful for. One by one we took out what we could live without until you have one paper left. We decided we couldn't live without laughter. Then Craig finished it off by singing a song about gratitude. It was a pleasant evening.
Sadly it didn't last. We had to take care of business afterwards with a Galilee orientation and then homework for our classes the next day.
I will be in Galilee starting Sunday for like 9 days so if you don't hear from me, that is why. It should be great. It is hard core New Testament all the way. We have two two hour classes each day with field trips in between. It should be a unique opportunity to get to study the New Testament in the Galilee. Things are great and I am loving life.

2 comments:

BOIBRIGGS said...

Oh Rachel, I love your blog! This has made your adventures so real and so close! We love you. I love the experiences you are having. They will stay with you for life. David and Mindy Johnson always want to know exactly what you are doing and then they experience it all again. Thank you for being a wonderful daughter. Thanks for taking time to put your thoughts and pictures on this blog. Love, MOM

Tami said...

This is amazing! I loved reading every word. Thanks for letting me sneak a peek into your wonderful world. What an indescribable thing it must be to be there and see it first hand. I'm so happy you get to do that!

Stay safe. Love you!
Sis. Christensen